So if you haven't heard already, there is a new Sailor Moon anime series coming in 2013 in honor of it's 20th anniversary!! Also, all the SM manga is being re-released in America right now with better translations and formatting. Annnnd the Sailor V comics have finally been released in english for the first time!! Its an exciting time for Sailor Moon fans!! Rather than copy and paste some of the news I've read about all of this, I thought I'd just link to some great resources:
- Great video explaining the New Sailor Moon anime in Summer of 2013!
- And more info here!!
- New Sailor Moon Artbook – Coming Soon in 2013!
- New Sailor Moon Figures – Announced at Tamashii Nation 2012 - I love the chibi one!
- Codename: Sailor V on Amazon! Volume 1 and 2 - Such a cute story!! I'm so glad it's finally been released in english! If you aren't familiar with this storyline, its basically the intro to the Sailor Moon series. :) You can read more here about it.
I've been so so excited about all of this that I've ordered all the manga available, and then I even picked up a little necklace from etsy. (above) There are a ton of amazing fan creations on the internet right now too that have popped up lately - these are my two favorites:
- Jewelry shop "Kuma crafts" which makes amazing necklaces based on the lockets and wands in Sailor Moon! I got my above necklace from there. She's currently sold out of Sailor Moon stuff but puts new items up every couple of months so keep an eye out!
- Lunacy magazine - an online fan made magazine all about Sailor Moon!! This is like a dream come true! It's put together so professionally and covers a wide range of fan interests. Below is a screen cap from one of the issues where they go over how to recreate outfits from the art! Too cool!!
I've really been enjoying reading the manga again. I think the last time I read it was around 1999 when it was first being released in America... Some of the manga has changed and the overall quality and translations are wonderful in this re-release! (I found a lot of the changed details *so* interesting that I actually scanned a ton of pages to go over it and I'll be sharing that in another post.)
My favorite thing about rereading the manga is remembering how much I adored the relationship between Mamoru and Usagi - the love and friendship stories in Sailor Moon are so magical and touching. As a teenager I always hoped to find someone as wonderful as Mamoru to be with. I loved how he and Usagi worked as a team and supported each other. :*)! So lovely!!
And now for a trip down memory lane... When I first read Sailor Moon, it was actually in Smile magazine! I was in 9th grade and I was a huge fan that I bought all the issues I could get of smile until it went under, and then I started collecting the graphic novels as they were slowly released. My girlfriends were really into Sailor Moon too, and we would all print out stories we found online that weren't translated in America yet, and also lend each other different artbooks and collectibles we got a hold of! We were pretty obsessed at the time. Due to this, the Sailor Moon stories are something very special to me because it reminds me of these fun times when I was a teenager. :)
On the note of Smile, I thought it would be fun to show some pages from the above issue of Smile that had Sailor Moon stuff on it! The magazine talked about all kinds of things - websites, movies/tv, video games, books, music, clothes, Japanese culture, manga and anime - but it focused a lot on Sailor Moon because that was it's big title comic at the time.
Things have changed so much since then!! It's kinda comical to read some of the ads and articles in it now.
Last but not least, I thought it would be fun to share this super old photo... (Check out my crazy floppy disk digital camera!) When I was in high school I would sometimes wear my hair like Usagi's with extensions and I even did this for a few months in college when I was growing out my hair. I loved this hair style!! I can't remember how I did it, but I remember it being relatively easy to do with a tutorial I had found online. Did any of you try this too? Maybe I should do it again when my hair is a little longer! ;)
So yeah - I'M SUPER EXCITED!! I'm currently on the above volume.
Have any of you been getting excited too for the upcoming new anime or rereading the manga and feeling nostalgic?! Let's talk about it!!
I'll be sharing the "What's changed" manga scans in my next post. :)